Devotional polytheist, witch, & mystic in South Texas, USA

• 8 replies

Thunderwitch

• Witch & Mystic
    • she/her
Devotional polytheist, witch, & mystic in South Texas, USA
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »
Hello! 

I found this forum via a link on John Michael Greer's Dreamwidth journal.  I'm afraid I've never been very good at introducing myself, but here goes.

I was baptized Catholic but raised nondenominational Christian, and have always been spiritually- and religiously-inclined.  In my adolescence I found solace in Catholicism, among other things, and sometimes toyed with the idea of becoming a nun.  I have since married, and converted to paganism in my early 20s.  As I've become more sure-footed in my path, I've found myself drawn to a more monastic (or perhaps monastic-inspired/monastic-leaning) practice.

I am a polytheist, pantheist, and animist; for me, these ideas are complimentary, not contradictory.  I am a witch and mystic.  My practices include prayer, divination, meditation, and ritual.  My matron goddess is Inanna, and I am first and foremost a devotee of Hers.  I also honor Ereshkigal and a host of gods from various pantheons, all of whom I either sought out during my early forays into polytheism, or was brought to by Inanna.  The gods are my everything.  As a pantheist and animist, I also honor my house spirits, genius loci, and ancestors.  I am not a Christian or Catholic any longer, but I still love and am inspired by Saint Therese of Lisieux, San Martin de Porres, and Saint Benedict.

I'm quite introverted and thus tend to be a lurker on forums, but I'm eager to learn more and explore polytheist monasticism here.  Thank you for having me!
Ora et labora.

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
Re: Devotional polytheist, witch, & mystic in South Texas, USA
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »
Greetings, Thunderwitch. Thanks for joining us. I'm glad you found us through JMG's post.

You mentioned Ereshkigal; one of our moderators edited an anthology of devotional writings for Her, and I often listen to a dark ambient track named after Her by Herbst9, one of my favorite bands.

I'm quite introverted and thus tend to be a lurker on forums, but I'm eager to learn more and explore polytheist monasticism here.

Introverts are in good company on this forum! I'm a religious hermit who savors her solitude and finds it liberating in many ways. Welcome.

Thunderwitch

• Witch & Mystic
    • she/her
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:19:21 AM »
You mentioned Ereshkigal; one of our moderators edited an anthology of devotional writings for Her, and I often listen to a dark ambient track named after Her by Herbst9, one of my favorite bands.

The Queen of the Great Below anthology was actually one of the earliest resources I found when I first began my journey with Ereshkigal.  I have a well-loved copy of my own, and it has been a great inspiration.  I'm excited to hear that the editor is a moderator here!

Edited to add, I meant to thank you for the music recommendation, Danica! :)  I will certainly be having a listen.

Introverts are in good company on this forum! I'm a religious hermit who savors her solitude and finds it liberating in many ways. Welcome.

I feel the same way.  ;)

Thank you, Danica!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:12:51 AM by Thunderwitch »
Ora et labora.

barefootwisdom

• he/him
    • barefootwisdom
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 02:49:17 PM »
Welcome, Thunderwitch!

As a fellow lover of solitude and deeply introverted soul, I think you're in good company here.  I'm also a former Catholic who was deeply inspired in my late teens and early 20s by Benedict and the monastic tradition he founded, and am now trying to figure out how to follow that thread as an animist and polytheist.  Ora et labora indeed.  Or as the monks used to joke, ora et labora et labora et labora...

Please be welcome here, and as Danica has reminded us in other threads, take all the time you need to think and ponder.

Janet Munin

• Feral Abbess
    • She/her
    • Feral Abbey
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Thunderwitch!

And let me know if you ever want to chat about Inanna and Ereshkigal.
There are so few who worship the Queen of the Great Below I'm always excited to meet someone who does.

It sounds like other aspects of our paths are resonant as well. I was raised non-denominational Protestant, was very devout, and was fascinated by and drawn to nuns. And I'm an introvert too.

(Thank you for the kind words about the book!)

Blessings!

Janet
Janet Munin

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 05:12:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Thunderwitch.  I'm also quite introverted and tend to lurk.  I hope you find what you need here.

Thunderwitch

• Witch & Mystic
    • she/her
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
As a fellow lover of solitude and deeply introverted soul, I think you're in good company here.  I'm also a former Catholic who was deeply inspired in my late teens and early 20s by Benedict and the monastic tradition he founded, and am now trying to figure out how to follow that thread as an animist and polytheist. 

It sounds like other aspects of our paths are resonant as well. I was raised non-denominational Protestant, was very devout, and was fascinated by and drawn to nuns.

I'm also quite introverted and tend to lurk.  I hope you find what you need here.

I must say, I'm very excited to have found so many fellow introverts, and some whose backgrounds similar to my own, even!

Ora et labora indeed.  Or as the monks used to joke, ora et labora et labora et labora...

Ha!  I love that.

And let me know if you ever want to chat about Inanna and Ereshkigal.
There are so few who worship the Queen of the Great Below I'm always excited to meet someone who does.

Thank you, I think I'd like that.  I don't think I've ever met anyone who actively worships Ereshkigal or Inanna, or even found a blog written by anyone who does.  Happy to meet you, Janet!

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes, everyone!  I look forward to getting to know you and building this community with you all.
Ora et labora.

Mdaoust245

• He/him
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »
Hi! I am very close to someone (in fact, maybe 2!) who are devotees or Ereshkigal IRL in my little pagan community. We also have that copy of Ereshkigal's anthology. It has been passed around quite a lot between these two. I'm going to try and coerce them into coming onto this forum, haha. So glad to meet you! I'm a bit of an introvert turned extrovert thanks to becoming more healthy and mentally stable. I used to be a folk Catholic mixed with esoterism (quite common in Qc) but converted to paganism in my teens. I might not be a devotee of the Queen of the Great Below but I do follow Lucifer, a similarly 'dark' (if I may so myself) and generally feared deity. So may be we have some things in common?

Janet Munin

• Feral Abbess
    • She/her
    • Feral Abbey
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »
So may be we have some things in common?

Could be! Send me an IM if you'd like to chat!
Janet Munin