Devotee of Antinous in central Maryland

• 3 replies

mtoddweb

• she/her
    • A Nest Made of Words
Devotee of Antinous in central Maryland
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:49:06 AM »
Hello! I joined a couple of weeks ago, but at last I'm introducing myself.

My name is Merri-Todd Webster, and I go by Merri-Todd or MT. I don't use a religious name, that's the real legal deal. *g*

I've been interested in both polytheism and monasticism since I was a child, really; I read a ton of books on archaeology, mythology, and comparative religion as a kid, and I was about nine when I stumbled across a wonderful novel called In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden, which is about an English career woman in the 1950s who chucks it all to become a contemplative Benedictine. I started thinking about a polytheist monasticism probably around 2003-2004, when I was a member of the Ancient Order of Druids in America.

I live in Baltimore, Maryland, unfortunately far from most other devotees of Antinous. I'm currently a member, mysta, and putative Magistrate of the Naos Antinoou, a loosely organized group of people who worship Antinous, the deified lover of the emperor Hadrian, and associated Kemetic, Hellenic, and Roman deities and divinized mortals. Most of them are in the Pacific Northwest, two of us are in Md. I was initiated into the Mysteries of Antinous the Liberator in 2017.

I heard about this forum through Danica, who became a member along with me of the Pagan & Polytheist Monasticism group on Facebook shortly after I founded it. Yeah, I was the person who started that group. *g* And here we all are.

I'm a writer and singer, I love birds and have an avian life partner, my cockatiel Rembrandt (you can see him in my user icon), and I'm a raving fan of Hozier (look him up on YouTube!). I blog at A Nest Made of Words, http://mtoddweb.wordpress.com/blog
You will pry Mother Julian of Norwich out of my cold, dead, polytheist hands.

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
Re: Devotee of Antinous in central Maryland
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:22:42 PM »
Glad you're joining us here, Merri-Todd! Welcome.

I heard about this forum through Danica, who became a member along with me of the Pagan & Polytheist Monasticism group on Facebook shortly after I founded it. Yeah, I was the person who started that group. *g* And here we all are.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'll always be grateful that you started the Facebook group in 2016. I had yearned for a discussion group for polytheist monastics for years, but was dragging my feet on actually creating one.

I remember being totally floored by the surge of interest when that group launched. We had almost 200 members within the first week, and there was so much enthusiasm. It seemed as if people were just dying to talk about polytheist monasticism! For many years I had been loosely following folks online who were writing about their interest in Pagan/Heathen monasticism, but throughout all that time I never got the impression that there were more than a tiny handful of us interested. The launch of that group showed me I was wrong about that.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your excellent and erudite writing here!

barefootwisdom

• he/him
    • barefootwisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
Welcome, Merri-Todd!  It's great to have you here, and thank you everything that you've done to build community among polytheist monastics!

I started thinking about a polytheist monasticism probably around 2003-2004, when I was a member of the Ancient Order of Druids in America.
If you don't mind my asking, does the past tense mean that you've moved on from the AODA? 

I ask because I'm a former member of that group.  In fact, a large part of why I initially joined the AODA was because of learning about the monastic emphasis of the Gnostic Celtic Church.  I've since determined that it's not the right fit for me, but to each their own.

silencem

• he/him
    • Walking the Heartroad
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 12:24:18 PM »
Good to see you here! I do you wish you weren't quite so far away, though. :) Would love to sit down and have a chat with you one day.