Devotee of New Gods Western Germany

• 3 replies

Aine Llewellyn

• They/Them
    • Otherfaith Blog
Devotee of New Gods Western Germany
« on: May 27, 2019, 10:55:27 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm Aine, posting my introduction a bit late. I grew up in the desert Southwest but currently live in Germany with my spouse. I miss my hometown but otherwise prefer the greenery and cooler temps here in Europe.

I've been Pagan-identified since 2004-ish, on top of being raised in a pagan-ish household (celebrated the Sabbats, believed in fairies and spirits, that sort of thing). I've always been very interested in religion and religious communities and, when I was younger, often dreamt of joining a Pagan monastery. My paternal grandmother was a Catholic nun for a short time before she left the church and became a Buddhist and encouraged my interest in religion quite a bit.

I practice the Otherfaith, a polytheist tradition I began building back in 2010-2011. The religion focuses on a group of new gods so I spend most of my time writing myths and stories for them and their related spirits. I have wanted to build a stronger contemplative practice around my gods for a while but have finally felt the ability and freedom to do so recently. I look forward to learning from you all and deepening my understanding of monasticism.

Sage Ambue

• they/them
    • Clann Bhride
Re: Devotee of New Gods Western Germany
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 11:17:07 AM »
Hello and welcome, Aine. :) I'd been wondering what contemplative and/or monastic practice might look like for the Otherfaith, how it might manifest differently for devotees of different gods and spirits. What ideas do you have so far?

I'm glad Germany suits you! I (might?) be headed to Europe next summer, so I'll start brushing up on my abominable Deutsche from high school.

Lorna Smithers

• Awenydd devoted to Gwyn ap Nudd
    • She/Her
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 03:53:55 AM »
Hello and welcome Aine :) So you're a founder of the Otherfaith? It must have been amazing to have a new group of deities to manifest to you and be inspired to tell their myths and stories. I'm a Brythonic polytheist so most of my gods have existing stories in Welsh mythology but, of course, times have moved on, and I've been finding myself increasingly called and inspired to write new myths for them and for other Brythonic deities who aren't known in the myths who have made themselves known to me.

Aine Llewellyn

• They/Them
    • Otherfaith Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »
So you're a founder of the Otherfaith? It must have been amazing to have a new group of deities to manifest to you and be inspired to tell their myths and stories. I'm a Brythonic polytheist so most of my gods have existing stories in Welsh mythology but, of course, times have moved on, and I've been finding myself increasingly called and inspired to write new myths for them and for other Brythonic deities who aren't known in the myths who have made themselves known to me.

It has been quite an experience! It's been especially interesting/difficult to interact in pagan spheres while worshiping new deities. But they've taught me a lot about discernment and committing to a spiritual practice, so I think the difficult is worth it.

I think more people writing stories about gods is really important! I think it can help us deepen our understanding of the gods and shows that the age of their stories isn't over. I wish you luck with your myth writing! It's a practice I hope to see grow within paganism and polytheism as our communities continue to grow.

I'd been wondering what contemplative and/or monastic practice might look like for the Otherfaith, how it might manifest differently for devotees of different gods and spirits. What ideas do you have so far?

This is something I've been contemplating a lot and don't have a lot of answers to. I think the Ophelia and Laetha would be the best suited for monastic practice, being gods that easily fit into already existing ideas about monasticism and contemplation (focus on silence, asceticism, restraint). Whereas some of the other gods, like the Clarene and Dierne, are focused on more on indulgence and excess that I have a hard time picturing devotion to them fitting well with most monastic practices.