Votary of Heavenly Aphrodite living in New England

• 3 replies
Votary of Heavenly Aphrodite living in New England
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »
Hello!  I found this forum today from a link in John Michael Greer's dreamwidth account. Polytheist monasticism has been an interest of mine since 2008, when I first began to live in rural Neopagan communities.  Since then I've lived all over the United States and now currently live in Massachusetts.  In the past few years during and since my Saturn Return I've been putting most of my available energy into spiritual pursuits, and in the past year this has opened up into taking vows with my patron goddess, Heavenly Aphrodite.  Certain aspects of monasticism have interested me for many years, and this interest grows as my religious devotion and commitments increasingly lead me to feel that the 'normal' goals of life such as romance, socializing, a career, and the like strike me as unattractive, they feel somehow stale in light of the ecstasy of my religious life.  And so while in the world and grateful to be here, the nature of my devotional life takes me to a liminal space where I am alone with my patron.

My spiritual practices include Orphic and devotional prayer, Theurgic ritual, discursive meditation, gardening, writing, and lucid dreaming.  My education includes high school and about a year's worth of college, that said, I am a bookworm and autodidact and spend a lot of time in my local library studying and taking notes. I've worked a lot on farms and as a gardener but have been living on savings and living with my family to give myself the space and time to follow my spiritual path.

Regarding, interests and involvements with deities and spirits, I worship the Hellenic pantheon and also do a lot of work with the spirits of plants and place.  This practice finds outlet in my herbal practice and gardening, especially the gifting of plants and seeds to others.

My studies have included research into Ancient Greece and so I've read Pausanias, who gives a sense of how some forms of devotion that could be called monastic looked like in the ancient world.  I've also read Dostoyevsky's The Brother's Karamazov and some of Evelyn Underhill's which both include descriptions of monastic life in a Christian context.  As alluded to before I've lived on various Neopagan land projects, including one with the nickname "the monastery."

As for books, I really love quite a few of them!  Particularly I tend to favor how-to books on gardening, herbalism, and magical practice.  As per how I found out about this forum I'm a big fan of JMG's work as well and participate quite a bit in the comment section of his blogs.  I'm excited to be here and delighted that this space exists; polytheistic monastic infrastructure seems to me that it would be extremely helpful for those called to this path.

barefootwisdom

• he/him
    • barefootwisdom
Re: Votary of Heavenly Aphrodite living in New England
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »
Welcome, Violet!  It's great to see you here.  I've admired your thoughtful and perceptive comments on JMG's blogs for several years now, and look forward to learning from you, and sharing with you, in this space as well.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 05:48:48 AM »
Many thanks for the warm welcome, barefootwisdom! 

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:50:18 AM »
Greetings, Violet, and welcome to the forum!

Polytheist monasticism has been an interest of mine since 2008...

That's good to hear. I learned about polytheist monasticism in 2006, and while I figured there must be more of us out there somewhere, I didn't get a chance to meet and talk to anyone else (online or off) who shared this interest until 2015 at the Many Gods West conference.

As per how I found out about this forum I'm a big fan of JMG's work as well and participate quite a bit in the comment section of his blogs.

I've read a fair bit of JMG's work, and I appreciate the clarity of his writing style. I especially appreciate the GCC Manual and Book of Liturgy, and The Art and Practice of Geomancy. It's great that he shared the CFS for Janet Munin's anthology on his Dreamwidth journal, and I'm glad you found us that way.

I'm excited to be here and delighted that this space exists; polytheistic monastic infrastructure seems to me that it would be extremely helpful for those called to this path.

We (the admins, WeepingCrow and I) are delighted that this space finally exists too! Thank you for the appreciative words.

I yearned for a discussion forum like this for many years, but I hesitated to start one because I knew from previous experience how much work it would be to build, administer, and maintain it - on top of my time-consuming day job and my independent writing/publishing projects. I'm glad we were finally able to pull it off. We're hoping that over the long term it will become a networking "hub" (i.e., a form of online infrastructure) to support polytheist-animist monastics all over the world. Thanks for joining us in the early days.