Devotee of Brighid in rural East Texas.

• 4 replies

NiDara

• Devotee of Brighid
    • she/her, they/them
Devotee of Brighid in rural East Texas.
« on: May 26, 2019, 09:35:24 PM »
Hello there! I'm NiDara, and I'm finally getting around to posting my intro here. I'm originally from Houston, but I eventually moved to Deep East Texas.

I started on the Pagan path in '08, but it was mostly spiritual meandering as I researched traditions and tried to find my spiritual niche. It was around 2013 that I began feeling a strong pull from Brighid and have developed my path to mostly center around Her. A big part of developing my path was meeting the lovely people from Clann Bhride (the Book of Hours gave me some much needed structure) and proceeding from there.

As for my interest in Polytheist Monasticism, I'd say it was accumulative over the course of my life. I came from a loosely Protestant background, so I didn't have the influence of Catholicism growing up. A book about saints was what really drew my attention to a more mystical approach to the Divine. Also, one of the more beneficial aspects were the creative projects I'd do during Vacation Bible School during the summer. I felt a lot of joy when working creatively, so I suppose that inclination had a lasting effect for me. What really grounded me to the notion of Polytheist Monasticism was the Pagan and Polytheist Monasticism group on Facebook (also where I found out about this forum) and learning about others' experiences. It felt right to seek a contemplative practice focused on Brighid. So far, my path is still one of learning, and I figure my first notable goal is developing a Brighidine Rule for myself to guide my way.

I look forward to discussing different topics with all of you!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:10:26 PM by NiDara »

Sage Ambue

• they/them
    • Clann Bhride
Re: Devotee of Brighid in rural East Texas.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 09:32:50 AM »
Hello, NiDara! Glad to see you around. :)

Developing a Rule for a Clann Bhride monastic practice does seem like a good place to start. I have some ideas myself, but I'm trying to discern between what impulses are for CB as a whole, and which are meant for me personally. It's an interesting dance between getting my ego out of the way, but also nudging my ego back to where it needs to be to claim responsibility.

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum, NiDara. We're all learning from one another here, so you're in good company.

Developing a Rule for a Clann Bhride monastic practice does seem like a good place to start. I have some ideas myself, but I'm trying to discern between what impulses are for CB as a whole, and which are meant for me personally. It's an interesting dance between getting my ego out of the way, but also nudging my ego back to where it needs to be to claim responsibility.

Thanks for this, Sage. I went through a similar discernment process while WeepingCrow and I were deciding upon the monastic Rule for Black Stone Abbey. The Rule we agreed upon first showed up in dreams, meditations, and contacted writing sessions. I didn't really understand it. Yet it kept showing up in my life in various ways as if it were "pointing" at other concepts or ideas that would eventually be incorporated into the Rule somehow, so I took notes.

At first I interpreted it as something that would eventually appear in a book project of my own, or maybe a collaborative writing project between the two of us. I meditated on it for months, because it's important to keep my ego out of the way as much as possible while also keeping open to what might be trying to be born through this work I do for the Abbey.

Eventually I felt a nudge to share it with WeepingCrow, and he agreed that it's for the Abbey, and for us. I still don't think either of us actually understands it. Yet we agreed that it's right.

For whatever that's worth, anyway.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum! My Hermitage is based in the Houston area, but my work sometimes takes me into your neck of the woods. Pretty country.

NiDara

• Devotee of Brighid
    • she/her, they/them
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 05:34:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum! My Hermitage is based in the Houston area, but my work sometimes takes me into your neck of the woods. Pretty country.

I've wanted to connect with the area for a while, but I've never really been able to get that deep with it. Maybe it's just me.