Syren Shveta Nagakyrie: Kali Devotee in NW Washington State

• 6 replies

Syren Nagakyrie

• she/her, they/them
    • Syren's Blog
Hello all! Most people know me as Syren; I also go by Shveta (the name I received in my diksha or initiation) and my pronouns are she/her or they/them. I am devoted to Devi, primarily Kali, and am an initiate of a Shakta Tantra tradition which has become my primary path. I've been involved in paganism and polytheism for about 25 years, always from a goddess-oriented and witchcraft-focused path. Most folks know me from my public-facing work as a priestess/ritualist, the co-founder of a goddess temple, an organizer of Many Gods West, and co-founding member of Gods&Radicals, or through my writing and social media work. I'm also the co-founder and sole organizer of LANMIPP - the Loosely Affiliated Network of Monastically Inclined Polytheist Pagans.

But I have always had a profoundly mystical and contemplative focus in my own practices, and have struggled to balance my public, inner, and devotional work. I have been a community builder for most of my adult life, and spent many years working towards founding a spiritual intentional community. As I have gotten older (I'm in my late 30s) and had various personal experiences, my desires have shifted toward monastic life and using my skills to develop frameworks for monastic community within a polytheist context.

That said, to be honest my identity as a polytheist is a bit of a scratchy fit these days, as my experiences with Tantra blow open all of my preconceived notions of divinity and reality. I continue to associate/identify with polytheism because it is where I have been for so long and is the closest fit, but something along the lines of 'radical nondual animist and bhakta' is more accurate. I am as devoted to the earth and all things moving and unmoving as I am to Devi, and view all aspects of life as divine. My journey towards conceiving of monastic frameworks and striving for a contemplative life (oxymoron as that may be) is all a part of spiritual practice. There is an established tradition of monasticism in "Hinduism" and the Shakta traditions, which provides something for me to draw upon. I may at some point take formal monastic vows, but that is something long on the horizon.

Did I answer all the questions? LOL I think that's it for now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:58:05 PM by Syren Nagakyrie »

silencem

• he/him
    • Walking the Heartroad
Re: Syren Shveta Nagakyrie: Kali Devotee in NW Washington State
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
Good to see you here!

Redfaery

• she or they
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:23:56 AM »
Welcome! It's good to see you here, and I'm glad to learn more about your path.

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 11:05:14 AM »
Welcome, Syren, and thanks for joining us.

Most folks know me from my public-facing work as a priestess/ritualist, the co-founder of a goddess temple, an organizer of Many Gods West, and co-founding member of Gods&Radicals, or through my writing and social media work. I'm also the co-founder and sole organizer of LANMIPP - the Loosely Affiliated Network of Monastically Inclined Polytheist Pagans.

No doubt you've heard this many times elsewhere, but I don't think it's possible to hear it enough: thank you so much for the work you did for Many Gods West. That conference really marked a turning point for me as a polytheist. Among many other things I appreciated about that conference, I also learned how skilled you are at facilitating grief work, and that is work that our culture really needs (but often avoids.)

Regarding LANMIPP: if I recall correctly, LANMIPP is/was hosting drop-in online meetings. Is that still going on, and if so, are they open to the public?

Lorna Smithers

• Awenydd devoted to Gwyn ap Nudd
    • She/Her
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 01:41:38 AM »
Hello Syren  - good to see you here :) Your inspirational article 'Modern Monasticism: A Revolutionary Vision' https://syrenofminds.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/modern-monasticism-a-revolutionary-vision/ was one of the things that made me aware of polytheist monasticism and led me here. I will look forward to your contributions.

Syren Nagakyrie

• she/her, they/them
    • Syren's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
Regarding LANMIPP: if I recall correctly, LANMIPP is/was hosting drop-in online meetings. Is that still going on, and if so, are they open to the public?

Thanks, Danica. I really appreciate the appreciation. :) MGW was a major turning point for me also, and I wish it could have continued, but we must follow the energy where it flows, and where the energy of people who want to help (or not) is.

Yes, LANMIPP has been planning to host online contemplation sessions - scheduled times where members could drop in to contemplative/meditative space together. I've also been planning to host online meetings. Neither have materialized yet, but I actually just posted about getting those on the schedule. They will be open to the public, but will mostly be announced through the Facebook group.

And big thanks to you for all of the work you've done to create space for polytheist monastics. This forum is such a gift. Thank you.

Syren Nagakyrie

• she/her, they/them
    • Syren's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »
Hello Syren  - good to see you here :) Your inspirational article 'Modern Monasticism: A Revolutionary Vision' https://syrenofminds.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/modern-monasticism-a-revolutionary-vision/ was one of the things that made me aware of polytheist monasticism and led me here. I will look forward to your contributions.

Thanks Lorna! I'm so glad that article was inspiring for you. I have deep appreciation for your writing, and look forward to your contributions as well. It is good to see you here.