Sage, wannabe something of Brighid, NYC

• 5 replies

Sage Ambue

• they/them
    • Clann Bhride
Sage, wannabe something of Brighid, NYC
« on: May 13, 2019, 03:58:56 PM »
Hello friends old and new! I'm Sage and first found out about this through Danica. (If you know me from Facebook, I go by Ellen.) I've been in NYC for about three years now and am previously from Appalachia; I'm still mourning the loss of my mountains and trying to re-anchor myself in a new geography.

I've been Pagan of some sort since Ostara 2007 and working with Brighid in one way or another since October 2010. I'm one of the founders of Clann Bhride, a devotional group dedicated to Brighid in all Her guises. Some of our members are interested in contemplative and/or monastic practices and I'm curious myself to learn more.

For some time now I've very much felt a calling from Brighid to serve Her. Originally - and this is still mostly the case - that meant priesthood, and trying to figure out what that meant to me, Her, and to the Brigidine group we were fostering. However, I feel that there's something 'more' to priesthood that She wants from me, or that I need some sort of training, deepening, evolving toward Her that might include some of what you all are talking about here.

I have a spiritual direction advisor and dear friend who was in discernment once upon a time to be a nun, and she suggested that perhaps the term or role I'm looking for is that of a votary. My exposure to monasticism is very, very limited, and I have more questions than I have answers. But from what I can tell, votary feels right to me, in some sense, and I know that I feel called to turn at least part of my physical home and my free time into a refuge dedicated to Her.

In the rest of my life I'm a children's librarian, a member of ADF, a baby environmentalist and anti-capitalist, and a disabled animist. That last part means I thank elevators profusely for not breaking down when I need to use them during my commute. I am mentally ill, queer, trans, and neurodivergent, all of which I view as falling under Brighid's purview. 100% open to discussions about an NYC meetup!

Syren Nagakyrie

• she/her, they/them
    • Syren's Blog
Re: Sage, wannabe something of Brighid, NYC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »
Hi Sage, good to see you hear! I think "more questions than answers" is a great place to be, and probably describes the majority of people interested in polytheist monasticism, since we're walking the edge of creating something new.

Sage Ambue

• they/them
    • Clann Bhride
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 04:18:44 PM »
Hey, Syren :) I'm glad to be part of something new. I've been feeling frustrated recently with figuring out my own vocation on my own, but then I remembered that there are others making the same journey and at the very least we can share and support each other.

barefootwisdom

• he/him
    • barefootwisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »
Welcome, Sage!

I'm glad to be part of something new. I've been feeling frustrated recently with figuring out my own vocation on my own, but then I remembered that there are others making the same journey and at the very least we can share and support each other.

My sentiments exactly! I've felt (and continue to feel) similar frustrations, but it's already been very encouraging to connect with others here on this forum. There's something really hopeful and inspiring about discerning (our vocations) together.

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:01:55 PM »
Greetings, Sage. Welcome, and thanks for joining us.

I'm one of the founders of Clann Bhride, a devotional group dedicated to Brighid in all Her guises.

When I first discovered the Clann Bhride website, I thought surely there must be at least some (would-be) monastics involved in your group. The stained glass cover image, the prayers and book of hours, theology, service, advisory council, fellowship...the language and overall presentation comes across as monastic to me.

In any case, my compliments on the lovely site.

And I agree with Syren: I think all of us here have more questions than answers, so you're in good company. We created this forum with the long term in mind, in order to learn from one another and support the development of "real-world" monastic infrastructure. Any monastic practice we might build at this stage of development is of necessity an experimental one, simply because we have no established precedents to guide us.

I've felt (and continue to feel) similar frustrations, but it's already been very encouraging to connect with others here on this forum. There's something really hopeful and inspiring about discerning (our vocations) together.

That's lovely to hear, barefootwisdom - I agree, and thanks for saying so. That's one of our goals for the forum: to help each other with monastic vocation discernment processes.

Lorna Smithers

• Awenydd devoted to Gwyn ap Nudd
    • She/Her
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:23:43 AM »
Hello Sage, and welcome :)

I heard of Clann Bhride through folk referring to the flamekeeping side and when I visited the website thought there was some excellent material there. I'd also agree there is already a monastic flavour. So many congratulations on what you and others have already created. I will look forward to hearing about how your calling as a votary and creation of a refuge for her develops.