Welcome to the Polytheist Monastic Discussion Forum!

• 4 replies

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
Welcome to the Polytheist Monastic Discussion Forum!
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:28 PM »
Greetings all,

We (the founders, WeepingCrow and I) began testing this forum in October 2018, and it became publicly visible in December 2018. We're past the initial testing stages now; we've got stable forum software and a customized theme set-up.

Now we're editing the FAQ, rules, posting guidelines, resource lists, and other documents we need to have in place pre-launch. Once we've got all these things uploaded, we'll go forth with our soft launch and open new member registrations to a limited audience.

More news soon!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:13:20 PM by WeepingCrow »

Danica Swanson

• she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
Re: Welcome to the Polytheist Monastic Discussion Forum!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:17:32 PM »
We've now got the following documentation uploaded and properly formatted for easy access:

About the Forum page
FAQ
Posting Guidelines

We'll soon be adding documents to the "resources" section of our Articles tab. We've got a couple of short articles already uploaded, and we'll be adding interviews with polytheist monastics.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:34:27 PM by Danica Swanson »

Danica Swanson

• she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »
End-of-February progress report:

We've got the Articles tab (our Knowledge Base) nicely populated now.

Under the FAQ section, we've got:

* FAQ
* Posting Guidelines
* About the Forum
* Our Staff
* Forum Rules
* A Brief History of the Polytheist Monastic Forum
* Why Does Modern Polytheism Need Monastic Orders?

Most of the FAQ documents are quickly accessible via the Information sidebar.

Under the Interviews section, we've got:

* Interview with Danica Swanson by L. James (college paper & book excerpt, 2018)
* On the My Polytheism Project (quote from a short interview Danica did for The Wild Hunt, 2016)
* A placeholder for the upcoming interview with Patricia of Harvest Home Hermitage (2018)

Under the Projects section, we've got:

* Sacred Endarkenment: Contemplative Norse Polytheist Monasticism (cover mock-up from Danica's in-progress book manuscript)

Under the Resources section, we've got:

* General Resource List
* Master Resource Lists by category: Liturgical Development, Religious Vestments, Books & Media, Polytheist Traditions, etc.

To read any of these documents, go to the Knowledge Base tab and click on the category of interest.

Edits, updates, and additions to these documents are ongoing. The Master Resource Lists will be updated each time we (the admins) find a new resource we consider worthy of sharing with the whole community.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:54:26 PM by Danica Swanson »

Danica Swanson

• she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 11:12:32 PM »
End-of-March progress report:

We made major progress in March. WeepingCrow and I got together in person to compare our To-Do checklists and set expectations. Much more efficient than messaging back and forth for every little thing.

• We now have two content moderators lined up, and a potential tech/back-end backup as well. Very important!
  • We've added a plug-in Photo Gallery feature, and are tweaking it.
  • We've got backups of all the sticky posts and Knowledge Base pages, so that they can be reconstructed if we ever need to do that.
  • We've got a beefed-up spam prevention strategy.
  • WeepingCrow is working on accessibility for the visually impaired.
  • We have a spiffy new header image. (We may still alter it, but it's a lot better than what we had before).
  • We've got the payment feature (mostly) set up for new sign-ups.

We were hoping we could launch by the end of March, but despite our best efforts, it didn't work that way. Every time we thought we might be close, delays happened again. It's a huge volunteer project and we're both trying to squeeze in time to work on it while juggling countless other things, of course, so this is to be expected.

I did meet with two soon-to-be members of this forum in person in the past two weeks, however, and Roger and I will continue to work together in person when we're able. I think it's reasonable to predict that we'll be ready to launch in April!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:51:43 AM by Danica Swanson »

Danica Swanson

• she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
End-of-April progress report:

April was an extraordinarily eventful month, for many reasons. The process of working on this forum has opened some doors for other exciting ventures and projects to launch, including a new anthology on polytheistic monasticism edited by one of our moderators. (We'll talk more about these things elsewhere.)

We've set a launch date of May 5th - only one week away! It's still tentative, but things are looking good. With a little luck and a nudge from the Holy Powers we serve, we'll be able to launch on time.

WeepingCrow and I got together in person at the Black Stone Hermitage as often as we could in April to make decisions about the forum and go through our To Do lists together. These meetings went very well, and enabled us to get a lot done in a short time frame.

Our two content moderators, Janet Munin and Lorna Smithers, are now signed up. We've given them early access so they can familiarize themselves with the forum before our official launch. Welcome Janet and Lorna! We are delighted to have you both here!

Other items of note:

• We've successfully worked out some minor hiccups with the sign-up process.
  • WeepingCrow is working on setting up a 'home' landing page. Right now the page reads: "We are currently not open to the public. Please check back after our launch on May 5th!"
  • The forum itself is now publicly visible, but the content is still hidden. We'll be adding more new content and polishing things up this week.
  • Moderators are free to start posting topics of interest to start discussions as soon as they feel comfortable doing so.
  • With WeepingCrow's permission I've added a copy of his important blog post "Positive Asceticism." It's an important milestone and I want it available here for quick reference.
  • The Master Resource Lists (under the Knowledge Base tab) are still pretty bare-bones. I've collected many other links I'd like to add to those lists; I'll continue to do so as time permits.
  • WeepingCrow is handling edits for some of the sticky pages and help files.
  • We'll be posting bios for our admins and moderators this week, so people can get to know us. The longer bios will be posted to the Introductions board, and a shorter version (a few sentences) will be posted to the Contact Us page, with a link to the longer version.
  • We've got a Staff Contact email address set up: polytheistmonastic [at] gmail dot com.

Early feedback on the forum has been encouraging: "...looking really solid and comprehensive and full of potential."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:52:54 AM by Danica Swanson »