Irene Guinta - Hellenic Polytheist Priestess, Solitary Witch - Central Minnesota

• 9 replies

Al Magison

• Priest of Apollon
    • They/He
    • Personal Twitter
My name is Irene. I am a queer and non-binary disabled Priestess of Apollon and Hekatean Witch.

I became casually interested in monasticism around 2011 after finding personal spirituality after being an atheist in my teens, but didn't arrive at polytheism until about 2014. I am located in Central Minnesota, and currently live at home due to disabilities. I found this forum through a post on Twitter calling for submissions to the Polytheist Monastic Anthology.

I dropped out of college due to chronic illness, but I have studied depth psychology to an extent as well as comparative mythology. Most of my time is spent learning about self-development and grassroots change through spiritual healing and self-empowerment while I practice tarot for myself and offer it as a service to others at accessible prices. When my health permits, I write and illustrate semi-autobiographical comics as well.

I have just begun my work under the title of Priestess of Apollon, but I have been highly dedicated to my path for about five years now. I was initiated by Persephone on what I call the "Healer's Journey" about this time last year before a whirlwind of experiences led me to where I am now. I work with Apollon as a healer and oracle and am guided by Hekate as a witch.

All of my interests lead back to my spiritual path, and as someone unable to work conventionally due to chronic illness I have found a home in the semi-monastic polytheist lifestyle. Since I was called by the urge of ecstatic union with the divine, I have dreamt of living in such a community. My mother has said occasionally that I would make a good nun. I never knew it could be polytheistic in nature until finding this forum.

I am very excited to be here, and I look forward to expanding my practice through my ever-deepening dedication as well as learning about the potentials of polytheist monasticism and finding connections on this forum!!

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
Greetings, Irene. You managed to find us on our very first day open to the public, so it's rather quiet around these parts at the moment. We'll be announcing the forum in a few other places in the coming weeks, however. When we announce the forum on the Facebook Pagan & Polytheist Monasticism group this week, things should pick up. That group helped us get our bearings in the first place, and many of the members there have been looking forward to the launch of this forum.

I'd be interested in seeing the link to the Twitter call for submissions for the anthology if you'd like to share it.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it!

Lorna Smithers

• Awenydd devoted to Gwyn ap Nudd
    • She/Her
Hello Irene and welcome :) I can also relate to the mystical calling of ecstatic union with the divine and to having been initiated into my role by the deities. I will look forward to hearing more about your relationships with Apollon and Hekate and your monastic practices on the forum.

Al Magison

• Priest of Apollon
    • They/He
    • Personal Twitter
I'd be interested in seeing the link to the Twitter call for submissions for the anthology if you'd like to share it.

Here it is! It was one of my classicist/polytheist mutuals. https://twitter.com/EPButler/status/1125200809501839361

I will look forward to hearing more about your relationships with Apollon and Hekate and your monastic practices on the forum.

I am excited to share!! I must admit, my practices have been monastic by default for now... but when I was divining on whether or not Apollon considered me His priestess, The Hermit popped up. When I saw the call to submission and clicked the link to the forum, I knew it must've been what He was talking about! I am very much interested in learning how I can add to my practice.

Janet Munin

• Feral Abbess
    • She/her
    • Feral Abbey
So excited that Butler tweeted about the anthology!
Janet Munin

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
So excited that Butler tweeted about the anthology!

That's great. It's encouraging to see the CFS making the rounds like that!

And speaking of good publicity: thank you, Irene, for your enthusiasm about our new forum on Twitter. We actually have 13 members as of this writing, and once we announce it to the membership of the FB group, I'm certain that we'll have quite a few more. Soon!

https://twitter.com/smolmedium/status/1125420983890919424

Al Magison

• Priest of Apollon
    • They/He
    • Personal Twitter
Hey everyone, I just wanted to update this since I've actually transitioned and use a new name and slightly modified pronouns. Everything is the same except I use masculine titles now. I will be updating my journal thread as well, as I've recently gone through and learned a lot the past couple months. If ya'll want me to post a new introduction thread, as to avoid confusion, I can do that too.

Mdaoust245

• He/him
Hey hey! Fellow transman here! So excited to see another self-dedicated priest out there! How did you become a priest? did you make a ritual, a dedication letter? Have you had lots of people challenge your priesthood? And how do you live out your priestly devotions? I'm so excited to meet you!
I became a priest gradually in the past year by taking on the role after a calling. It really began when I started following the call to cover my head while leading rituals. I did no ritual dedication or anything, I should have! Consequently, I'm not really a priest of anything in particular yet? I lead a fairly eclectic bunch of pagans who don't care who I'm devoted to (and some don't know). I've had so many people challenge my priesthood! Nearly every pagan so far has been like 'but are you a "real" priest?' to which I end up giving a lengthy discussion on why I decided to call myself a priest (because the calling was there and I answered it).   As for living out my priestly devotions... so far I find myself lacking structure! I work on books for my group (I am hoping to publish slightly monastic temple pamphlets and textbooks) and lead rituals, give classes, host events and stuff, but I'm lacking in the personal ritual side of things. Anyways, glad to meet you and can't wait to hear more from you!

Al Magison

• Priest of Apollon
    • They/He
    • Personal Twitter
Hey hey! Fellow transman here! So excited to see another self-dedicated priest out there! How did you become a priest? did you make a ritual, a dedication letter? Have you had lots of people challenge your priesthood? And how do you live out your priestly devotions? I'm so excited to meet you!

Hey! I'm probably in the same boat. I was going to make my graphic memoir what ordained me as a priest, but that's a longer term project... and I'm currently in the middle of a really painful crossroads because I think I'm being called away from the first successful romantic relationship I've ever had in my life to only pursue priesthood for the time being. I really like this person and want to pursue them as a life partner, but I'm currently discerning whether that is possible at this time.

Basically, I'm a priest because Apollo considers me one. I don't get many people who challenge me, actually, and quite a few people respect me for answering His call. However, I tend not to interface with too many other pagans at this point. Some groups in my area have popped up, but only just recently. Otherwise, I used to host a social gathering of pagans and the like in my area. I may just have to jump into the community-sided aspect of priesthood while I work on my graphic memoir, but I'd like to self-publish some zines in the mean time.

We should chat! I've been called to do more public ritual, but I'm not quite sure where to start. It sounds like you're doing well in your own pursuits and I'd like to hear more about it!

Mdaoust245

• He/him
We should definitely chat! How? I have no idea haha... are you on facebook? Is there a chatting option on this forum? And I'm so sorry about your romantic relationship! That sounds like such a difficult choice! I'm glad to hear you haven't been challenged much, it's nice to know that some pagans out there are accepting of us! And me? Successful in my ventures? I'm not so sure haha, I didn't think I was, but maybe I am! Anyways, I am glad to meet you :)