Janet Munin - Feral Polytheist - Seattle, WA

• 0 replies

Janet Munin

• Feral Abbess
    • She/her
    • Feral Abbey
Janet Munin - Feral Polytheist - Seattle, WA
« on: May 05, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
Religion and spirituality have been of central importance to me since childhood. Even when I went through a period of atheism following an existential crisis, I continued to focus on spiritual questions and yearn after the Transcendent. I was overjoyed when I eventually found my way back first to agnosticism and then belief.

I have been part of several traditions and studied many different paths during my 50+ years, but the limits and boundaries which define such groups almost always end up frustrating me to the point that I have to break away - thus my adoption of the label "Feral,” which refers to a creature which was once domesticated but is now wild. Monasticism appeals to me because it provides a framework in which to honor my spiritual calling and deepen my practices without imposing specific beliefs or practices.

My spiritual life is based on relationships with specific deities. Right now I am working primarily with Odin, who I recently realized has been playing hide and seek with me for the past 35 years. I relate to him as All-Father and as Gangleri, the One who is ever wandering in search of wisdom.

I am ordained as a priestess of Ereshkigal, but She put me on an extended sabbatical after I spent too long in the Underworld. While working for Her, I edited "Queen of the Great Below: An Anthology in Honor of Ereshkigal." Although I do not work closely with Her at this time, I still love Her dearly.

I also honor Frigga, Freya, Tyr, Inanna, Yeshua and Magdalene.

I hold a Master’s degree in Comparative Religion from the University of Washington, where I wrote my thesis on sacred prostitution in the ancient and modern worlds. I continue to have an interest in sacred sexuality and kink, and facilitated the Sacred Sexuality Meet-Up (at Seattle’s Center for Sex Positive Culture) for two years. I am ordained as a Grail Priestess by the Ordo Arcanorum Gradalis (a fellowship of the Holy Grail), and although I am no longer a part of that group the Grail continues to be an important element of my spirituality.

I learned about this forum from Danica Swanson, who is a friend of mine.

Janet Munin