• 7 replies

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
Call For Submissions: Anthology of Polytheistic Monasticism
« on: April 19, 2019, 02:53:17 PM »
I'm pleased to announce that I've just posted a call for submissions for a new and exciting project by one of our moderators: an anthology on polytheistic monasticism edited by Janet Munin, editor of Queen of the Great Below: An Anthology in Honor of Ereshkigal.

I'm providing advisory and developmental editing services as a consultant for the project.

Submission deadline: August 30, 2019

See the full CFS in our Knowledge Base for further details!

Danica Swanson

• she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
Re: Call For Submissions: Anthology of Polytheistic Monasticism
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:59:28 PM »
[Ed. note: Duplicating the full CFS here to make sure it's publicly visible.]

Call for Submissions:
Anthology of Polytheistic Monasticism

Polytheists who identify as monastics are invited to submit personal essays about their experience and practices to be included in an as-yet untitled anthology intended to heighten awareness of this form of Pagan spirituality. The editor is Janet Munin, editor of Queen of the Great Below: An Anthology in Honor of Ereshkigal. Danica Swanson of Black Stone Hermitage is serving as a consultant.

We are looking for vivid personal accounts and thoughtful reflections, not research papers. 
Possible topics include:
  • How a person came to and/or currently lives out a monastic vocation
  • The joys and challenges of monasticism
  • Monastic theology
  • Your Rule of Life or other monastic disciplines you’ve adopted and what their impact has been
  • Interviews with polytheistic monastics
  • How monasticism differs from or overlaps with other spiritual identities or practices
  • Living in community vs living as a hermit
  • Balancing a monastic lifestyle with the need to earn a living in the world
  • Poetry and/or prayers which vividly express monastic practice or devotion
* Submissions must not have been published previously, either online or in print.

Submission deadline: August 30, 2019
Early submissions are encouraged.
You may submit more than one piece.
All submissions are subject to editing, and the editor will ask authors to revise or modify their work if needed.

Please send all questions and submissions to janet.munin [at] earthlink [dot] net.
You are welcome to send a query email if you would like feedback on an idea before committing yourself to writing a full article.

All submissions must be in an editable format. Google Docs is preferred, but Microsoft Word is fine. Please ask the editor about other formats before sending.

Compensation & Publisher

All contributors to the anthology will be compensated.

We will be submitting the project to publishers such as Aeon, and final compensation will be dependent on contract terms. Due to publisher requirements, we need several completed pieces to accompany the query. Once decisions are made about the publisher, we will follow up with specific information about compensation and rights. Anyone whose work has been accepted will be free to withdraw it should the terms not be acceptable. Contributors will be compensated even if the anthology ends up being self-published.

Janet Munin

• Feral Abbess
    • She/her
    • Feral Abbey
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
I am happy to correspond with anyone who has questions about the project or who wants to bounce around some ideas about contributions!

Janet.Munin@earthlink.net
Janet Munin

Janet Munin

• Feral Abbess
    • She/her
    • Feral Abbey
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
I'm tickled pink that John Michael Greer just posted the CFS on his blog, along with some very supportive comments!

https://ecosophia.dreamwidth.org/56688.html
Janet Munin

Danica Swanson

• she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
I'm tickled pink that John Michael Greer just posted the CFS on his blog, along with some very supportive comments!

Glad to hear that. I'm also glad he'll be submitting a piece for the anthology, as he's already written the book I recommend most frequently to people who ask me if there are any print sources on polytheist monasticism. As I've written elsewhere, I greatly appreciate his Manual and Book of Liturgy for the Gnostic Celtic Church. Particularly the Rule of Awen, which influenced the development of the monastic Rule for Black Stone Abbey.

When the new anthology is published, we'll finally have another print source on the topic. I look forward to it!

I also note that JMG makes some interesting comments about monasticism on that post you linked. To wit:

"From an esoteric standpoint, monasticism is a potent source of positivity in any society that fosters it -- to have groups of people devoting their lives to prayer, meditation, and ritual balances out a lot of noxiousness."

That's an encouraging perspective, because polytheist & pagan communities could definitely benefit from a reduction in noxiousness.

He also writes in the comments that

"The great majority of polytheist monastics today are hermits, since they're too few and widely scattered to make monasteries an option. That should begin to change over the next century or so."

Since this forum was established specifically to facilitate that process, I certainly hope he's right. I do hope to see at least a few monasteries established in my lifetime. I'll continue to do what I can to make Black Stone Abbey one of them.

barefootwisdom

• he/him
    • barefootwisdom
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:40:00 PM »

This is welcome news indeed!

For those who don't follow John's blog closely, I also include another of his thoughtful comments, from the post where he introduced the anthology:

Premature definition is a serious danger here, not least because most existing models of monasticism have been powerfully shaped, first by the idiosyncratic concerns of Axial Age faiths and second by the distinctive needs of prophetic (as distinct from natural) religions. As I've argued in print, we're in the process of entering the post-Axial age, and the polytheist revival is one of the emerging crop of post-Axial religions. The polytheist revival is also natural rather than prophetic ("revealed") religion, as most obviously demonstrated by the distinct shortage of self-defined proclaimers of One True Way in polytheist circles. So it's going to take some time, and plenty of attentive listening to the gods, for the emerging polytheist monasticism to sort itself out.

Some helpful encouraging food for thought here, as we all continue with our discernment, and with that "attentive listening to the Gods."

Danica Swanson

• she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »
I appreciated that comment too, barefootwisdom. That whole discussion is a rich source of fascinating discussion prompts, so I started a new thread about it. Please feel free to add your thoughts!

Janet Munin

• Feral Abbess
    • She/her
    • Feral Abbey
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
Now that I've received several submissions for the anthology, I want to add a few points which may help others as they work on their pieces:

* The work needs to be explicitly and primarily about monastic practice, lifestyle, path, vocation, etc. Prayers and poems are fine if they focus on the monastic element, not 'just' devotion.

* Remember that a significant percentage of readers will not have prior knowledge of your path, patron(s), etc. Define words specific to your tradition, either in the text or as a footnote.

* Make it personal. "How I do things" is good, but it's better if you also share the faith and emotion behind your practice that inspire you to do these practices, and/or why they are important to you.

* Complexity is fine, but make sure your text moves cleanly from one topic or section to the next. Try not to jump around between subjects.

* Be prepared for me to ask you to do some re-writes. Most of us need someone else to look at our work and help us fine-tune it. I've received some terrific submissions which still need some tweaking for clarity.

* If you aren't sure if your topic is appropriate, or if you have an idea but aren't sure if you're up to writing about it, please email me at janet.munin@earthlink.net or message me here and let's discuss it. If you're not a strong writer I can get someone to collaborate with you and/or do an interview with you.
Janet Munin