Child of Brighid in Virginia, USA

• 2 replies

threadhawk

• they/them
Child of Brighid in Virginia, USA
« on: June 20, 2019, 04:31:26 PM »
Hello! I finally took the plunge and signed up for the forum, rather than just lurking. I actually ended up here after some online discussion in an ADF group about pagan and polytheistic monasticism. The conversation there ended, so I sought out other places, and here I am!

I'm a disabled, nonbinary femme in southeastern Virginia. I share an apartment with my partner, a roommate, and several dogs. I live near swamps and oceans, which is fitting for someone whose practice is largely focused on liminality. I've gone around in circles trying to sort out where I fit in terms of devotional polytheism, and once again, the spiral has brought me back to Brighid. It's always been Her. So instead of resisting, I'm trying to embrace the fact that She is the main recipient of my devotion.

I've always been drawn toward some kind of religious life, though I've often eschewed it based on a lot of bad examples. I'm finding better examples though, and I'm starting to think about what being a votary would look like for me. I may or may not pursue ordination through ADF at some point, but right now, that sounds more like a means to an end than the goal itself. For now, I'm developing a more regular practice with Brighid, researching monasticism, and trying to write down as many of my thoughts on the subject as possible!

Danica Swanson

• CEO (Creative Endarkenment Overseer) at Black Stone Abbey
  • Contemplative Norse polytheist
    • she/her
    • Black Stone Abbey
Re: Child of Brighid in Virginia, USA
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum, threadhawk!

I actually ended up here after some online discussion in an ADF group about pagan and polytheistic monasticism. The conversation there ended, so I sought out other places, and here I am!

I'd be interested in hearing more about how that conversation went, if you'd like to share. What kind of questions did people have about it? In some groups there's a lot of interest and curiosity, but in others the general consensus seems to be something more like "Why would pagans need monasticism? That's for other religions."

My theory is that the "tide" has shifted in recent years, and interest in monasticism in our communities is growing. But of course I only interact with a small subset of the communities in question, so I'm always interested in hearing about discussions elsewhere.

threadhawk

• they/them
Re: Child of Brighid in Virginia, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »
I'd be interested in hearing more about how that conversation went, if you'd like to share. What kind of questions did people have about it? In some groups there's a lot of interest and curiosity, but in others the general consensus seems to be something more like "Why would pagans need monasticism? That's for other religions."

Basically, I think someone new-ish was asking if there was any kind of contemplative tradition in ADF. A lot of people seemed interested, and someone commented that it could easily fit into the initiate's program (more focused on the "woo" side of things than clergy ordination, though someone can be both). There was some discussion in the thread, some folks carried it over to a fairly dead Facebook group, and that was about it. The big questions seemed to be 1) the difference between contemplative practices and monastic life and 2) what the "line" is between "regular" levels of devotion and "exceptional" levels of devotion. I seemed to be the odd one out in believing that monastic life could be compatible with having a spouse and/or kids. There also seemed to be a focus on devotion to a variety of beings, or a pantheon, as opposed to focusing on a single deity or even class of spirits.